After spending many years working for the financial services industry in various positions inside custom software development teams. I realized that the main pain point is a lack of rapid data management tools, making it easy for anyone to store information, visualise their data and automate workflows from a single place
Quite often, custom software teams can’t cope with ever changing requirements. As a result, business users (usually tech savvy) turn to Excel, some bits of Python and SQL in order to automate and improve their data management workflows. With respect to the business users we worked with, most of them are super smart and intelligent people, they don’t know how to write maintainable, well architected, robust and scalable software. That is why their excel “systems” always fall short. And over time, these “systems” become unmaintainable, unreliable and often do not accurately produce vital figures.
The solution to the problem is a SQL centric low code data management platform that allows business users and IT professionals to rapidly iterate and produce custom solutions in a streamlined and scalable way.
As a first step we started with improving tooling infrastructure around SQL server databases. Making sure that anybody can easily access data, manage access controls and modify/load data easily while maintaining data integrity and consistency.
- Worksheet Systems App
- Sample Apps Gallery
- JSPython Playground
- Workseets Data Studio
- Docs (in progress)
- UI Components documentation (in progress)
The following components diagram depicts main Worksheet Systems parts
SQL Data Api - RESTful API for data access and manipulation
- Source Code for Python SQL Data Api Client on GitHub
- Source Code for C# SQL Data Api Client on GitHub
JSPython - building custom workflows
Data Visualization and UX
Although, we believe that user business users should be able to explore (if permissioned) databases themselves. Sometimes, we need to give them a better user experience, like: interactive dashboards that combine multiple data sources or more robust data collection / user input forms with build-in validation and transformation logic. For that purpose, we’ve built another open source library - ngx-dynamic-components. That eventually is bundled with Bootstrap (the world’s most popular front-end open source toolkit) and JSPython.
Data processing / Data wrangling
Worksheets Data Studio IDE and run-time
You should look at Worksheet Systems as of two parts:
- Worksheets Data Studio - is a developer friendly online IDE and a set of reusable open source libraries for data engineers, business analysts or software developers. You can use our online IDE as well as VS Code and keep your source code in the source control of your choice
- Worksheet Systems - run-time. All applications that you’ve built with our low code data management platform, can run as a stand-alone web app or scheduled batch job on a NodeJS server
Worksheets Data Studio - Online IDE
Worksheets Data Studio is your ultimate online IDE for all your data management tasks, building custom apps and sharing/collaborating SQL databases. Core components being:
Online SQL Client
Connect to any of your SQL databases on-premises and in the cloud, Which enables multi user collaboration, advanced querying, exploring and modifying data. That will allow you to:
- Quickly find a database table/view/stored procedure of your interest
- Use advanced Excel-like data filters with useful information of rows count, groups etc.
- Create Custom Data Queries. You don’t always want (or don’t have permissions) to create a SQL View, stored procedures or write complicated queries in the SQL Server database. So, you can create a query and save it separately, share or collaborate with your friends, colleagues or clients
- We made modifying your data in the SQL table easy. We’ve built a number of useful features to modify data in your database. (e.g. bulk edit, foreign fields, import/merge from excel etc)
- Import data with a smart merge feature that ensures control and consistency over your data
- Sharing and collaboration is as easy as passing a URL to your colleague or client.
Use JSPython - a custom scripting language to process data, automate workflow or integrate with other systems
- Worksheets CLI - command line interface to work with Worksheet Systems content offline - VS Code or keep it in the source control (GitHub, Bitbucket etc)
- JSPython CLI - command line interface torun your JSPython scripts in the NodeJS
Custom Apps and Interactive Dashboards
Build interactive dashboards or input forms with our bootstrap based dynamic components library.
Who should use it
Our audience usually falls into the following roles:
- Data Analysts / Business Analysts. We offer a rich set of exploratory data analysis features to stay on top of your data engineering workload
- Business Users. We enable those who deeply understand business processes and workflows to contribute (or even build themselves) to the custom data management solutions. There is no need to understand underlying technologies when you need to craft an interactive dashboard or create a custom input form that fits well into your particular workflow, and share to collaborate. Or, you can simply benefit from the exploratory data analysis features we offer
Issues & Features requests
If you find any issues while working with a system, we’d love to hear from you. To report bugs or send feedback, please submit a new issue here:
Or simply e-mail to info_at_worksheet.systems
Professional Services and support
Worksheet Systems is designed, built and supported by FalconSoft. Falconsoft Ltd is a London based IT services company which offers professional services to help businesses achieve their enterprise architecture efficiency goals. Using FalconSoft’s expertise and unique software tools, businesses are able to gain control of their internal and external information, streamline data management processes and derive optimal returns from their enterprise IT investments.
Enterprise level - on-premise installation
With our enterprise offerings you can enjoy an entire low code data management platform behind your firewalls, integrated with your security (Office 365 or Google Identity). So, you decide who should see what and how to optimize hardware for each particular workflow.